Will your Baby be an Expat When He is Born? Don’t Wait Too Long to Begin His Citizenship Application

Will your Baby be an Expat When He is Born? Don’t Wait Too Long to Begin His Citizenship Application
February 15, 2017 - News Guide

For the majority of couples expecting a new baby in the UAE, your baby will be an expat from the day he or she is born. Making sure you start getting the documentation you need to ensure that your baby is a legal resident of the UAE (or any other country you are an expatriate resident in) will save you a lot of stress and hassle.

In the UAE, a newborn expat baby needs a passport to be able to apply for a residence visa.





  • If the baby does not have a residence visa issued after 120 days from birth, the Government imposes a fine of AED25 for every day the baby is illegally resident in the UAE. The fines will need to be paid while applying for the visa.
  • More importantly, if you need to leave the country for any reason, your baby will not be allowed to leave the UAE with you. As an expat, you should never be in a situation that hampers your baby’s ability to freely leave the country.

To ensure that you meet the 120-day requirement of having a passport with the UAE residency visa stamped in it, make sure you start your child’s citizenship registration as soon as he or she is born.

For citizens of St Kitts and Nevis, Dominica and Antigua and Barbuda, in order to apply for a passport for your newborn child, your baby needs to first be considered a citizen of that country. To start the process:

 Apply for a Birth Certificate

The hospital in the UAE that delivers your baby will issue a ‘notification of birth certificate’ in Arabic.

In order to obtain an English birth certificate, you need to visit the Preventive Medicine Department at Al Baraha Hospital (also known as Kuwaiti Hospital +971 4 2710000) and get an application form from the Birth Certificate Office.

All expatriates must get both the Arabic and English certificates attested by the Ministry of Health (at Al Baraha Hospital) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

To do so you need to provide the following documents: original and copy of parents’ passports with residence visa, copy of attested marriage certificates and discharge summary from hospital.

You can get more information from the Government of Dubai website here

Get the Required Government Forms from your Country of Citizenship

Each country has its own procedure for registering the birth of a newborn child. PassPro is able to assist with the entire registration process and application for citizenship of a newborn baby of an existing citizen of Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica or St Kitts and Nevis.

Emergency Travel in the Absence of a Passport

If you are an expat citizen of St Kitts and Nevis, Dominica or Antigua and Barbuda living in Dubai and you have not managed to register your newborn baby’s birth within the stipulated 120 days and need advice on next steps, please contact PassPro on [email protected] or call us on +97145541449 and we will be more than happy to advise you on your options.

For further updates,  follow PassPro Immigration Services on LinkedIn, Twitter @PassProNews, Instagram @PassProCitizenship or Facebook/PassProCitizenship

Book A Free Consultation

Previous Post: Antigua and Barbuda’s New Policy on Diplomatic Passports Shows Commitment to Increasing Transparency

February 9, 2017 News Antigua and Barbuda

In an effort to increase the level of transparency, accountability and legitimacy of diplomatic appointments, the Prime

Read More
This site uses cookies in order to deliver the best user experience. Detailed information on the use of cookies on this website is provided in our Cookies Policy statement. By continuing to use this site, you consent to the use of these cookies. You can find out more and change your cookie settings at any time by clicking here.