Stay updated on the latest news, official updates and other topics of interest to global citizens.
Dominica Amends Citizenship Law to Make Adding Dependents Easier and More Affordable for Families
December 6, 2016 - Dominica
The Caribbean island of the Commonwealth of Dominica has passed amendments to its Citizenship Law that are expected to make its already popular Citizenship by Investment Program even more attractive to potential investors interested in acquiring second citizenship.
Key changes include reduction in the fees of registering newborn children, making family applications through real estate investment more affordable, and making it easier to add dependent children, parents and grandparents to a single application.
According to a circular issued by the Minister for Citizenship of the Commonwealth of Dominica, effective December 1, 2016, key amendments to the law include the following:
- Raising the age of a qualifying dependent child of the main applicant or his/her spouse from 25 to 28 years when said child is in full-time attendance at a recognized learning institute or fully supported by the main applicant.
- Raising the qualifying age of an unmarried daughter who lives with the main applicant and is fully supported by him/ her from 25 to 28 years.
- Lowering the qualifying age of dependent parents and grandparents of the main applicant and his/ her spouse from 65 to 55 years.
The new dependent criteria makes it easier to include family members as part of the same application.
- Additionally, a much-hailed change includes the reduction in the fees of registering a newborn child (a child under 5 years who was born after the applicant acquired Dominican citizenship) from $10,000 to $2,000.
Other amendments include a reduction in the government fees payable under the Real Estate or Other Approved Project Investment Route in addition to the main qualifying investment. These include:
- Reduction in the fees payable for a qualifying dependent above the age of 18 (other than the spouse of the main applicant) from $50,000 to $25,000.
- Addition of a special family fee package of $75,000 for a family of 4, including the main applicant + 3 dependents or $100,000 for a family of 6, including the main applicant + 5 dependents.